Friday 2 January 2009

New Year's Day 2009 - A Long Last Leg East

I slept under two heavy duvets in the high round tower at Daffy's and the first memorable event of the year was my slipping in my socks on the steep narrow wooden stairway that curve downwards to 'ski the lot' and hit the first floor landing! The steepness and small size of the stairs made for a fast bruising yet injury free descent?

Daffy had learnt the need for lots of food, so we had a huge whatever-you-want breakfast and piles of snacks to store away enroute. The plan was to follow the Taff Trail(8) to where the Celtic Trail(4) divided off to the East. The Celtic Trail would then lead me on a winding route through Caerphilly; On to Newport hence to wander the Coastal Salt Marshes to Caldicot; Then the long hill into Chepstow before a couple of miles of up-and-over on the old Severn Bridge cycleway; Then wander the lanes to the A38, to head North in the direction of Gloucester, before going East towards Stroud to reach Stonehouse - a journey of nearly 70 odd miles.

Daffy wanted to join me as far as Caerphilly Castle, it was chilly so instead our leave taking was well timed at the divide of the trails. She had surprised and seen me off in Holyhead, found me in Brecon, accompanied me to Ponty with Neil and now waved me goodbye dan jalan bagus on the Celtic Trail home. I headed back towards a cold home, the hot bath, an exhausted sleep and a blog or two. Yet, knowing what warming presents to buy Daffy for her 40th Birthday Party next week!

Lets just say the trail home was a bitter cold slog and I could have done without the broken beer bottle in Newport!

The fierce beauty of Snowdonia, the Cambrian Mountains and the Brecon Beacons were the best, with the solo legs of Lon Las Cymru having each been an adventure. Having company and sharing the beauty of New Years Eve morning had made my journey the more memorable and enjoyable.

Thank you

PS. There are Neil's pictures to download, upload to the web and add as New Year's Eve '08 & Taff Trail Slideshow. I also plan to blog on the related subjects of staying warm and survival soonest.

1 comment:

METhomas said...

Hi dad, sounds like your having a great time, I don't like to think how cold it must be, hope your thermal socks are doing their job! Well done and keep it up, lots of love Megan & Stu xxxxxxxxx