Sunday 7 December 2008

Good but Long...

Its five o'clock on Sunday morning and I am trying to ignore the dulcet tones of the alarm, telling me repeatedly "Its now 5.01"! Yet as promised I get into work for 6 am....

Back to Stonehouse for midday to collect two of my bikes that have had dirt removed and single track damage sorted out by Winston, who ably sorts out all manner of bike repairs, has built two new looking cars from bits, is completing his A levels, speaks several languages and will in five years or so be an Architect.

Winston's employers, the owners of Stonehouse Accessories refuse payment for the work, asking me to kindly make a donation to The Prostate Cancer Charity and Age Concerns local health projects on their behalf - Why? They have read this Blog!

My daughter, Megan has said she will be late as she is doing a calendar shoot?! I am just running a bath when she rings to say she will now make it for the agreed time of 1 pm... I congratulate her on the new car and we shoot off to meet Stu for a carvery lunch at the Frocester George - now owned by Mike Reynolds and Family.

The bar has the biggest log fire I have seen in any pub, a selection of real ale and is friendly. We grab the huge round window table in the lounge and Stu calls asking where we are, it turns out he is at the George in Cambridge! We do finally get to enjoy the carvery meal and succumb to the deserts.

I present Megan with a huge rump steak for their evening meal whilst we argue about a shopping trip to get her a present - I lose! Stu sensibly disappears, leaving Megan and I to track down Rob and Clare. Which turns out to be easy, then I am abandoned by this dynamo of a daughter to watch a weepy film with Clare, whilst Rob complains. I as usual greatly enjoy their company, the talk is sadly of friends losing jobs and of Rob's work being curtailed, so that his percentage will not generate as great an income...

A nice family day. I am home in time to start rebuilding a suitable touring bike for Father Christmas's Holiday. The bike will be light in weight yet have the strength for the off-road forestry sections; low gears for high cadence mountain climbs; new fat road 26" Tyre's to lessen vibration and shock, yet be fast on the road and just about allow me to do without front suspension off-road; Plus front and rear pannier racks - I am not able to travel too light because of the cold weather and the need to be able to make a warm well stocked Basha, if forced to a stop. The four panniers are therefore needed because of the overall volume of the light weight warm and emergency kit I have decided to take.

Remember, the greater the overall weight of the bike, panniers and me, will in part determine how hard the climbs are and how much weight I lose!

Then time to look at the different photo sites on the web and see which is the simplest and best for my blogger uploads, I decide on Flickr. Leaving little time to tap into the hand held device and post this blog.

- posted by iphone -

No comments: