Sunday 28 December 2008

A Hard Ride to Dolgellau @ 96 miles

A huge breakfast and a sunny five day forecast sorted me. The Cannondale Bad Boy required more air pressure and the low rider front panniers to be fixed so they do not swival into spokes.... This and getting two of yesterday's pictures into the blog, saw me and BadBoy meander out of Caernarfon at near 11 am!

I dawdled, stopped for a coffee and chat, took a nap in the Sun and just enjoyed the ride. I took some iphone pictures, uploaded them to the web and then just as I was thinking about a little tourism in Portmeirion two things happened. Riding East alongside Afon Dwyryd the chill Easterly head wind slowed me and I realised that I only had an hour odd of daylight left!

The mountains were also channeling the wind and it became hard going.... I used the last of my daylight to climb into Gellilydan to go due South to Dolgellau on the A487 - now unable to take the tough forestry track route. Yet, sheltered from the wind by the valleys and direction of travel, I upped the cadence and gearing to enjoy the lamp lit long swooping ride - on arriving I fired up the GPS application to find the B&B in the heart of the old town.

BadBoy and a singing rear spoke were locked away. A long hot shower and change of clothes, allowed me to find welcome at The Cross but no food!? The lovely barmaid was a Liverpool supporter, so I was soon provided with a plate, cutlery and a Chinese Take-Away.......

Now, I have to check my rear wheel spokes after breakfast as I don't wish to make Bivi and sleep in the woods tonight!

No comments: